iPad and noise.io

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Feb 5 21:49:11 CET 2010

Op 5-2-2010 20:20, Don't t(h)read on my tentacles, Earthling! schreef:

> Le 1 févr. 2010 à 18:26, Peter Korsten a écrit :
>
>> Hey, I'm not saying that Microsoft is happily embracing open standards.
>
> They don't, they M$ize standards, so that they are no more standards.
> Apple doesn't.

My impression is that Microsoft stopped doing that some time ago -
mostly because of regulatory pressure, particularly from the European
Commission.

Apple just have a closed system: you can't even run your own software on
an iPhone or iPad if you don't have Apple's permission, can you?

> (stopping here, Apple vs M$ and other BS are not fun)

Oh, you killjoy! :)

Seriously, I'm very much a Unix-minded person, but I must say that I
really like Windows 7. It's not as invasive as previous versions, that
stuffed Internet Explorer, MSN Messenger and Media Player down your
throat. It defaults to using Microsoft products and services (search,
blog, etc.), but you can easily change them to Google; heck, it even
asks you before you begin.

Compare that to iTunes.

Again, Microsoft don't do this from the kindness of their hearts, far
from it. They are forced, and they comply because they have to. Nobody
can keep coughing up €1bn at a time, not even Microsoft. But the end
result is the same, which is a surprisingly open system - and a very
good system, if you ask me, and I've seen a few.

> This said, I really have to change my email here� it'll help to understand a few things.

Eh?

- Peter