iPad and noise.io

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Feb 1 18:26:35 CET 2010

Op 1-2-2010 13:56, Don't t(h)read on my tentacles, Earthling! schreef:

> Le 29 janv. 2010 à 01:24, Peter Korsten a écrit :
>
>> I want a tablet, but based on an OS that is developer-friendly, and
>> open, and embraces standards.
>>
>> In other words, Windows.

Hey, I'm not saying that Microsoft is happily embracing open standards.
Heck, they got a patent lawsuit against them because they used XML as a
format for Word, and lost. Including the appeal.

But what with the regulatory pressure, mainly from Europe, they have
been forced to be more open. And I have to say, Windows 7 is a pretty
sweet operating system, even on a five year old system.

The big difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple sells
complete solutions for pretty narrowly defined markets - both hardware,
software and content - whereas Microsoft sells software for several
broad areas.

The Xbox is Microsoft's attempt to break out of their traditional
business areas, but I'm not under the impression that it's bringing them
a lot of money. And their muscle in the OS business has meant nothing
for success on smart phones.

Apple and Microsoft do have a certain overlap, and it'll be interesting
to see what happens in those areas where they compete head to head.

But by definition, Microsoft is more open than Apple. They have to be,
because they are dependent on third parties - and that is part of their
success as well. On the other hand, Apple controls everything, and has
absolutely no inclination to open their products to others so that they
could start making money without wetting Apple's beak.

- Peter