finally something new from Access/Kemper

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Dec 21 16:12:55 CET 2010

On 21/12/10 08:54, Martin Naef wrote:
> On 21.12.2010 00:14, Michael Zacherl. wrote:
>>> Sounds and looks interesting. I'm wondering if it also works with a
>>> synthesizer sound. If so, it would be da bomb...
>> smells like convolution. if so you're limited to static sounds.
>
> Depends on the implementation. Look at the LiquidMix technology as example.
> It's also based on convolution, but essentially switches impulse responses
> depending on the dynamics. I am sure a similar approach could work just as
> well for guitars.

If you can get past the cheesy marketing speak, occasionally, there is something
interesting going on, from an engineering perspective. The LiquidMix patent
looks to me like a special case of a Volterra kernel, although the inventiveness
is in choosing which is the most efficient way of getting closer to the dynamic
changes which are occuring. They take a single parameter (the audio input from
the instrument) and adjust the impulse response based on that, whereas the
impulse responses of real equipment exist in a space of many more dimensions,
more than one of which is significant to hearing. Additional parameters, such as
tone controls etc, which also affect interpolation of impulse response, are not
interpolated at audio rate, which is how they get product out the door.

It would be interesting to know what the maths is behind the Access/Kemper stuff.

Tony (HB)