"We have always been at war with WikiLeaks."

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Dec 16 21:59:01 CET 2010

Op 16-12-2010 20:34, Jay Vaughan schreef:

>> They're on their high horse, how right and just they are (just like you,
>> really), and come up with this manifesto, but I can't shake the notion
>> that what they're really after is damaging the US government.
>>

> Well after all, why not?  They've discovered a lot of uncomfortable truths about the manipulations of the US government, and are pushing them into the limelight, where they belong.
>
> Complacency = Wank.  Fuck that.  Its well past due time that we *did something* about the criminal actions of the US government.  Hooray for the righteous wankers and their high horse, I say!
>
> About Time!

So, if you (and others) are so concerned about that, why have I never,
ever, read anything on this list about:
* Russia (turned off democracy and is now a Maffia-authoritarian state)
* China (woeful human rights record, imperialist agenda in the South
China Sea, supporting countries with equally woeful human rights records)
* Sudan (persecuting part of its own population; head of state indicted
for war crimes)
* North Korea (ha ha!)

There are others, such as Iran, Saudi-Arabia, DR Congo, Zimbabwe, Libya,
Egypt, Venezuela, but you get the idea.

> We could well be the target of a mass disinfo campaign being run by the US government itself, but how would we know - there are too many *real* secret crimes being hidden, daily.  The system does not, fundamentally, work to catch it all - just some.  So yes, we do need Wikileaks and organizations like them.

And the US is unique in this? Why single out the US?

> Hatred of the US is for good reason: it is an imperialist, war-mongering power, using its industrial strengths to impose criminal acts on peoples not under its own jurisdiction who deserve nothing of the sort.

*cough* China, Tibet, South China Sea..

> Oh, we could say that about a million things, that its all just like another religion, but it won't be long after the next round of military incursions that start hitting closer to home that we don't all start to 'find religion' again ..

The point is, WikiLeaks is not looked at as critically as the US
government is. It's just like blaming Fox News for turning the
population to the right, whereas it's actually been proven that people
watch those shows that confirm their own preconceptions.

Critical thought does not come into it - only criticism. And those are
not the same thing.

- Peter