Photo distortion question

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 15 10:08:34 CET 2010

On 15.12.2010 01:31, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
> Cool, thanks everyone, I just wanted to make sure it was not a
> "digital" screw up, and something I was doing that I should avoid.

Nope, I think you're fine. It's worth looking out for such unwanted
effects though, and move the camera position slightly or work with
lights to avoid it.

> Yea have a filter, mostly to just protect the lens, it can be such a
> pain in the ass sometimes though with reflections.

That's exactly the reason why I stopped using them. Reflections and
playing havoc with the autofocus - I observed both effects. There's a
lot of discussion in online forums on the benefit of protection filters,
but the conclusions seems to gravitate towards avoiding them unless
you're in harsh conditions. It's not terribly expensive to replace a
scratched front element in a lens, while a filter that doesn't degrade
image quality isn't exactly cheap.

Martin