Manta

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Dec 9 18:15:18 CET 2010

Op 9-12-2010 16:00, Tony Hardie-Bick schreef:

> I still think the guitar (and in some ways the stick), has an edge over keyboard
> - even over a really good acoustic grand piano - there's something you can do
> with the notes after they have been played, that, even though the note is
> decaying, gives the resulting music such character, such communication, that
> it's completely different.

As it happens, we went to a concert of contemporary classical (so first
half of the 20th century, more or less) American music at the US
ambassador's residence for a charity event.

The performers were a pianist, a violinist and a clarinettist. What was
interesting about several of the pieces is that they used the physical
aspects of the instruments to the extreme. For example, one piece
required the pianist to hit the lower notes with either her elbow, or
her entire lower arm. (That bit was hidden from view.)

Now I didn't like about half what was played, but that's also me, de
gustibus non est disputandum sort of thing.

- Peter