Manta

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Dec 2 22:42:43 CET 2010

On 02/12/10 20:56, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
>> simply takes the idea of a Monome-type matrix, and then add in *extremely*
>> good velocity/aftertouch.
>
> that's not exactly what this is, it does not sense velocity or pressure
> really, it senses surface area. Which can give the same result, just
> different, and maybe better.

Yeah - that's kinda what I was getting: interleaved patterns of copper forming a
variable capacitor (inspired by the tech in multitouch screens perhaps) and the
area on initial impact is likely large and then decays - I mean, they could have
got a patent on this, although there are so many research projects back in time
which may anticipate it, but.... but... it's so cool, and in that vid you can
really see, even though it's just measuring tactile area, it's totally natural
for the guy playing it (who's obviously a fairly experienced pianist
or keyboard player), and so.... tech innovation becomes pure music.

The Monome thing gets me, visually, and because fun is such an essential part of
playing any instrument, and it represents the changing worlds of structure that
a musician must have in their mind, and connects the audience with that
unfolding process.... then add in this stuff.... I mean.... it's pretty interesting!

Music generated synthetically has huge possibilities, which are basically
limited by the way in which these processes can be meaningfully presented to an
audience. And I mean "meaningfully" - gadgets and flashing lights merely
patronise, whereas showing something the musician/performer actually *needs* to
get the job done, is altogether fascinating; an act of confidence which invites
curiousity, an engagement with the music and the voice of the music.

Tony (HB)