Please recommend: free recording software on Mac

komatos EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 12 16:56:53 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joost Schuttelaar" <joost at joostschuttelaar.nl>
To: "Music-bar" <music-bar at lists.music-bar.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:55:08 AM
Subject: Re: Please recommend: free recording software on Mac

On Aug 12, 2010, at 9:27 , Martin Naef wrote:

> So what I need is a RELIABLE piece of software to record the digital
> output in 48kHz/24bit. It needs to run straight for about 1.5h, or
> probably two parts of 45 minutes each. All I need is a proper WAV or
> AIFF file at the end that I can later edit on my tried and trusted
> system. What software should I use that's painless to install, easy to
> use (I won't have to time to actually learn the thing), keeps the 24
> bits intact, doesn't choke on a long continuous recording session and is
> free?

QuickTime. Just start it up, go to the menu and select 'new audio recording', then choose 'maximum quality' (this makes it 24-bits) and there you go...

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL

As a minor note:

QuickTime (the free version that comes with the Mac OSX system and/or via download from Apple's website) doesn't have this feature. You have to pay (about $30 is it?) for QuickTime Pro to get recording features. Most people don't and just use other software.

--komatos/wasted