Freeware/open source batch audio convert for Windows?

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Apr 29 15:06:55 CEST 2010

Michael Zacherl. wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2010, at 22:55 , Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:
>
>> lame --preset extreme file.wav file.mp3
>>
>> gives you a variable bit rate codec which you won't know from the original.
>
> reportedly VBR causes troubles on some iPods - what would be the setting without VBR?

lame -b320 file.wav file.mp3

gives you max and constant bit rate.

I have had vbr problems on older (>4yrs) devices, and this was basically because
the CPUs were a little underpowered and the codecs not fully optimised for the
hardware.

> (my old shuffle used to lock up sometimes, btw. I tracked it down to songs/pieces with VBR on)

I'd be interested to know if mp3 vbr causes any problems on more recent players.

Tony (HB)