Freeware/open source batch audio convert for Windows?

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 27 22:55:42 CEST 2010

> I'd like to convert my FLAC-encoded CD collection to eAAC (HE-AAC) or
> eAAC+, to stuff as much as possible on my phone. What software would you
> advise? Please no WimAmp if possible.

AAC gives maybe half the file size of the equivalent quality for mp3. I guess if
a factor of 1.7 to 2 is important to you, search for an AAC solution, otherwise:

lame --preset extreme file.wav file.mp3

gives you a variable bit rate codec which you won't know from the original. And
you can write a script to pipe flac into lame, presumably even on windows ;)

lame is kindof a standard, and will always be available. Tools of the trade :)

Tony (HB)