A little ditty

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Apr 26 21:12:05 CEST 2010

> On Monday 26 April 2010 19:32:45 Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:
>> The Dong wrote:
>>> making strings
>> WTF!?!
>>
>> HOW
>
> Poor kitty-cat...
> Meow!

No cats were harmed. I wouldn't do that, it's not a shamisen; japanese
banjo type thing whose skin is that of a cat or dog. The cats nipples
were used to line it up, or something. Leave the head and tail on for
instant cartoonish japes ;)

I got bare piano wire and twisted up hoops on the end.
Nothing too difficult, but more sensible than buying a set of ready made
strings. The only bad thing is the wire is a hazard, some bleeding
occurred. A full set of zither strings is very expensive, for example,
more than the value of most second hand instruments.

Thankfully, the strings are supposed to last many years if looked after,
if not indefinitely, but the thing about the Kantele is it has at least
3 standard tunings, so the odd string may stress and snap. Not to worry,
I have a lot of spare piano wire.

It's more satisfying making strings for your instrument than nipping off
to the music store and buying some.