Hmmmm....

ibi sum EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 21 21:19:37 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 20:04 +0000, punkdISCO wrote:
> Tricky one - as others have said, they are very different beasts..  I think
> you would get more out of the MD in terms of being a quirky musical
> instrument where inspiration will come from lots of happy accidents and 5
> minutes jam sessions whilst waiting for the kettle to boil (a very slow
> kettle).

In my opinion, what you are trying to say is that one option is a
musical instrument you can play instead of operating the boiling water,
and another is a computer game which requires massive amounts of
attention.

Go for the dedicated toy.

The machinedrum is lovely as hell, I keep hearing it in tracks I'm
actually *buying*, even though I've got one myself.  Or maybe thats why,
in fact, so .. yeah.  Personal opinion territory.

Here we go:

> Maschine is probably more of a vanilla/traditional drum machine.  I know
> it’s a cliché but it absolutely feels like a MPC but with 22" LCD (should
> you choose to use your computer screen but you really don’t need to most of
> the time).

The Akai drum pads fit on a desk, right alongside a mouse, and cost
about $50.  Thats the best part of the Maschine package, the physical
bit of it: and competitors are making the physics for real, real
cheap.
Maschine is a massive, complicated, head fuck of a con.

Machinedrum gets turned on, makes music, The End.

The really cool approach would cost you $50, and then $1000 of 'your
time', building a cool custom instrument on your PC which lets you bang
the hell out of those nice pads, and then you'd superglue the pads to
your undies, strap a netbook to your latest build, and freak the hell
out of everyone while enjoying every cycle of it.  I'm quite sure.

> But it really is impossible to call. They both have some very strong areas
> and whilst being similar, they are both very different fella's..

I think Total Integration is a load of rubbish and is producing droll
tunes which I have no desire to really listen to.

My rule is, and I couldn't care for the social consequences, is that if
it doesn't sound like it took some real motion to make, its not music
worth getting out of the chair for .. Can anyone prove me wrong, and
make some sort of amazing Maschine track that blows my mind?  Please
do.

Musicians move.

--

;