Music from last week's gig

Jonny Stutters EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 21 11:57:26 CEST 2010

On 21 April 2010 02:28, Michael Zacherl. <mubar04 at blauwurf.at> wrote:
> Since we talked a lot about setup etc. recently, could you elaborate what your setuo was for this gig?
> Mixer, controller etc.?

Sure can.  Most of the control is done using an eight page system on
the Launchpad.  It's built around a step sequencer.  The first page
shows all the steps for all four tracks with sub-pages for each of the
8 notes (everything's locked to a scale for convenience).  The second
page allows for placing of sequence restart triggers so that the four
sequences can be run at different lengths for polyrhythmic stuff -
currently I'm not making use of this because I haven't figured out a
way to get everything back into step again when I'm done with it.
Page 3 controls a four bar loop of global transpose.  Pages 4 and 5
are for step sequenced CCs (16 steps, 2 CC channels per instrument).
Page 6 is another view of the note sequence but uses the whole display
for a single track (it's handy for quickly entering chords or just
thinking in a different way).  Page 7 uses all the buttons as a big
playable keyboard so that I can enter patterns that cover more than
one octave, play solos etc.  Also there's access to a loop recorder
for each channel.  Page 8 has controls for the mixer and transpose by
octave for each channel.  Phew.

Additionally there are four pages of knobs on the MiniCommand (one
page per synth) there's a looper available for each page that will
record and playback two bars of knob movements.

The only external mixing is being done on a Motu Ultralite which
receives the output from the MachineDrum, mixes it with the computer
output and sends it to the PA.  Level control  of all the melodic
stuff is done in SuperCollider before it gets to the soundcard.

The things I'd like to add are an arpeggiator to get some notes at
faster than step rate and mix level effects (compression, reverb,
filter, bitcrush/sample rate reduction).  The second one's easy enough
but I'm not sure how to do the interface for the arpeggiator at the
moment.

Congratulations to anyone who managed to read this far!  It's a lot
easier to play and demonstrate in the flesh than it is to describe - I
keep meaning to document it on video but I need a tripod or a
cameraperson before I can do that.

Jonny