new macbook pros...

Jonny Stutters EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Apr 15 12:20:46 CEST 2010

On 15 April 2010 11:02, Søren Knudsen <soren at audiomind.dk> wrote:
>> Would a Mac Mini work for you? Or perhaps (shock, horror) a Windows PC
>> in a rack?
>
> I just bought a fit-pc2i (what a weird name). Anyway; maybe this will fit the bill nicely for
> you. It's got an atom processor, 1 gig of memory and can hold a 2½"  hd. Link:
> http://www.fit-pc.com

Yeah that's the sort of thing I've been thinking of putting together.
My worry is that, even running a very stripped down linux install, it
might not have enough performance to cope with my set.  Peter's idea
of using a Mac Mini is an interesting alternative that gives a decent
amount more performance in a not-much-bigger box, problem is that it's
also a chunk more expensive.  The rackmount PC is a non-starter for
portability reasons; I need to be able to chuck the whole setup into a
couple of shoulder bags (also SuperCollider on Windows has some
reliability issues in my experience).

Jonny