This is why..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Apr 9 08:40:28 CEST 2010

Joost and I spent last weekend hacking on iPhone projects .. he got
some nice sound code of his, that he's had floating around for years,
working finally and I got my act together on the setup for a bit of 3D
hacking and cross-platform compatability with other projects on my
table .. but now I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't just a wasted
effort and we should have focused on Zii Egg/Plaszma instead of
bothering with the iPhone lockstep.

The fact is, the more Apples grip tightens, the more likely someone is
going to come along and slurp up the customers and developers escaping
from their clutches .. and Creative Labs' Zii Egg is really, really
sexy hardware.

Sexier than the next iPod release, I'm quite sure .. and the
development tools?

Linux-based.

Yes, they've got an App store, in beta right now as ZiiLife, which
also includes such wonders as free Egg-to-Desktop services, free video
conferencing, and so on.  If this thing hits soon, it will steal a lot
of thunder from Apple.

So, yeah .. I hope we see a nice move from Creative on this issue
soon, in the form of a product release of the Egg, and maybe a ZiiPad
too .. they've got all the technology in functional form to compete
with Apple, and it may well happen.

BTW, you can run Plaszma on the Egg, or Android.  Your choice.
Expansion comes in the form of an SD card slot - no fixed memory
restraints there.  And the processor is actually quite a bit sexier
than the A4, imho .. the only issue is maturity of the built-in apps,
but I see that moving quite fast.

;
--
Jay Vaughan