concert in berlin

EMAIL HIDDEN EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Sep 21 01:16:21 CEST 2009

On Sunday 20 September 2009 23:31:16 Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:
> Hmmm - always wondered - is it, in theory possible, to reconstruct a volume
> of sound simply by defining transmissions on its enclosing surface. So, now
> I have the answer :)
>
> I haven't... checked the maths, but, I understand this has already been
> done :)

Probably has something to do with Ostrogradsky's theorem
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergence_theorem). As long as there is no
sound source inside your enclosing surface, all you need to know is the flux
through the surface (and probably also the air pressure inside).
Don't ask me why I remember that...