concert in berlin

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Sep 20 23:16:01 CEST 2009

On 20.09.2009, at 18:56, Joost Schuttelaar wrote:

>> (2700 speakers)
>
> Individually addressable? :)

yes indeed, that is the idea in a wavefield synthesis (WFS).  well
actually there are three filtered speakers that form an array to
project the sounds more directionally (you can see it in this picture: http://kainiggemann.com/portfolio/?p=357)
, but there are many RME MADI interfaces and a few computers (and ahem
a 200-500 ms latency) between us and those 2700 speakers...

the surround image is pretty detailed, it could sound better, I have a
feeling they didn't put high end speakers in -- why? I don't know,
maybe because the whole installation sounds better when you read about
it than when you actually hear it..;)

it's in a lecture hall and on parts of the walls the speakers are
angled, there is a blackboard that gives you ugly echoes and other
stuff that is less than optimal, acoustically.

but it's fun anyway and things are in a very fluent motion.

I must say that I still prefer ambisonics over WFS, but ambisonics can
be done with much less speakers (much is the right word here. at 2700,
"loudspeaker" becomes an uncount noun, I think...;-)

I think we will put a Zoom H2 in the middle of the room tomorrow to
record. I will let you know how that goes...

Kai