Saving sounds of Korg MS 20

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Sep 10 23:28:19 CEST 2009

Martin Naef wrote:
> Matt Picone wrote:
>> I'm still not clear though... Does this mean a pot. has an infinite
>> number of possible resistance values?
>
> Essentially, yes (let's not get into quantum theory and counting
> individual atoms).

One could argue that human perception is limited, but the circuits of an MS20
are configurable so that even tiny adjustments of pots - or their crackle, or
thermal or electron noise will tip it between stable states in an audible way.

So even if you say a human can only resolve the resonance effect in, maybe 1000
steps (very generous), you can still set up a patch so that the fifteen of those
steps that cover the critical transition into oscillation, are expanded
indefinitely by the number of ways the rest of the synth can be configured.

It's.. more a weather system than a musical instrument, in the conventional
sense. Being aware of this, while playing the instrument, is strangely calming.

Tony (HB)