Keys are so uncool

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 5 00:34:40 CEST 2009

Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
> I was hoping you would answer this.

Cheers dude :)

> It seems very machine though, there is not a lot of connection to
> expression. Like a hardware piano roll, you would never really want to
> "play" a piano roll, but yet these type of grid interfaces are
> commonly used for playing.

It is machine, I don't think you're wrong or prejudiced in saying that. It is
not a romantic, 19/20th century piano-like instrument, that's for certain, and
it will not move in those dimensions, it is like concrete. Equally, a piano
involves the person playing it in a way that suggests certain movements, and
while these are not limited, I would say that music has moved away from the
compositional styles suggested by piano, or classical guitar.

But I would not say that makes them redundant. It frames them differently. I
(personally) would say the framing is more effective, when an interface like the
2D matrix is used to drive sounds and sequences that are less quotations of
existing forms (unless this is explicit/ironic, as in rap), like piano and its
associated music, and more "electronic", in the sense of being self
reflective/expressive, breaking the ties to the past. An interface like this is
ideal for making further steps in this direction, IMO.

With this type of divergence, I do think that anyone who finds traditional
instrument-playing expressive and emotive, will find that the possibilities for
this will become less ironic, more open, more valued and unique; as the
separation of the two musical paths becomes clear, so does their relationship
yield more fruitful results. At the present, there is much blurring, especially
between composition and playing, because it's not clear where one begins and the
other ends, whereas, with a tool like this, you are never really playing, always
composing.

I find typing these words strange. I keep thinking I am typing with
Stockhausen's words, although he never write about this. I think if you want to
find your way into composing, read Stockhausen. It doesn't matter where you
start, none of it will make any sense, but he reaches out into galactic
understandings of music, just... beyond. Took me years to even connect with any
of it (and particularly his music), but the few chapters I have read that I am
beginning to understand, tell me that this is where to go, when you have
questions of this kind.

> I really have the urge to break away from traditional composing
> structures, but first I really need to fully understand what makes the
> traditional style what it is and why it is what it is. So this is
> helpful.

All interfaces change perspective. If you have one that you feel particularly at
home on, drop it for a year, then come back to it when you suspect it will be
useless to you. I dunno. The Galactic Emperor introduced me to a new instrument
a coupla yrs ago. Not an easy one for us ten-fingered humans, but, really it's
all just down to determination, practice... and not spending too much time
writing emails when I should be doing just that... :)

Tony (HB)