Retuning?

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Oct 4 15:04:36 CEST 2009

Joost Schuttelaar wrote:
>> there's no particularly good reason why we're
>> counting in a base-10 system other than that we've done this for some
>> time already...
>
> Are you questioning the divinity of our 10 fingered hands?

Have a look at home some other cultures count with their fingers, and
you'll start questioning the divinity of the base-10 system... A base-5
system would actually make more sense.

Not very long ago, we had a whole bunch of counting systems, some of
their effects are still visible today: A dozen, French "quatre-vingt"
for 80, the whole non-metric weights and distances, etc.

Martin