short docu on the chapman stick

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 2 22:05:08 CEST 2009

Tony Hardie-Bick schreef:
> Gert van Santen wrote:
>> Got this link from the Stick List
>>
>> http://www.chapdoc.com/
>
> I have to say this kind of hagiography (questionless excessive praise) really
> does Emmett a disservice. He is, in my opinion, a true innovator and craftsman.
>
> This video gives a better idea of the humility and style of the man:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvuiAobq2_Y
>
> Very few players have understood how the instrument fits into existing musical
> forms. Most apply it "in quotes", in other words: a "this is a Chapman Stick"
> moment or piece, thereby hyping it in much the same way Emmett himself is
> boringly hyped in the chapdoc film.
>
> Emmett is a quiet genius, IMO, although I think he feels under-recognised, and
> that is why unfortunate videos like this one occasionally appear. The instrument
> is classic. Neither he nor the instrument needs to be talked about in such a way.

I've been thinking about your comment a bit, and I feel you are
probably right (about the excessive praise). On the other hand,
the film is made by his son (well, he's called Dan Chapman), plus
this is also done as a kind of "birthday" present (it was EC's
birthday couple of days ago).

Furthermore, I do have to say that a lot of people in the stick
community (chapman stick discussion list) behave like real
sweet-talkers ;-)

--

:-)

G e r t   v a n   S a n t e n