Netbooks

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 30 22:08:48 CET 2009

On Nov 27, 2009, at 8:25 PM, Tony Scharf wrote:

> One of the things I like about the netbook is what it represents:  The
> age of 'good enough' computing is here.  Most any processor is capable
> of handing 99% of what we need a computer for.  Its only for very
> specialized tasks (like music or art production) that someone would
> need anything better.

I went for the Acer aspire 1410. I got tired of looking around and
this has what I want for a good price. 6 cell(battery) netbooks were
putting me in the low to mid $300's + I would want to upgrade the ram
so another $40. The blue aspire is $409 and comes with a dual core
1.2ghz, 2gig ram (up to 4gig) 11.6 screen(1366 x 768), GMA 4500M
graphics, 7 home premium 64bit, full keyboard, hdmi out and is just an
inch bigger in one direction and .30lbs heavier than the aspire one.

I think this puts it in a better position for me between my Droid and
my 17" macbook.

There are a couple kinks with Ubuntu with this machine though, one is
a boot issue. I have read I either have to switch the SATA mode from
AHCI to IDE or set boot option in Grub.