Power consumption of ARM vs x86 etc.

thx1138 EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 30 18:41:57 CET 2009

On 11/30/09 3:00 AM, "music-bar-request at lists.music-bar.org"
<music-bar-request at lists.music-bar.org> wrote:

> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:48:46 +0100
> From: Martin Naef <mnaef at navisto.ch>
> Subject: Re: Multi-Core ARM and Speed vs power thoughts
> To: music-bar at lists.music-bar.org
>
> Terry,
>
> Quoting thx1138 <thx1138 at earthlink.net>:
>>> i look forward to the 1ghz arm multi-core, extremely low-power
>>> requirements, on the horizon.  SOC and all that is great; multi-core
>
>> The Automotive business is depressed as is the PC Market in general. It
>> takes a large volume driving customer base to justify the fabrication of
>> much of this business and unfortunately Consumer electronics alone will not
>> sustain this growth.
>
> You're certainly right about the depressed markets, but I'm surprised
> that you attribute little power to the consumer market - it certainly
> pushed low-power electronics more than anything else (mobile phones,
> anybody?).
Hi Martin, I did not leave out the Portable Consumer Market on purpose as I
figured it was already implied as a driver for lowered power consumption,
but your point is correct that Portable Consumer helps drive Battery design
and low power requirements in general
>> Another issue is Battery technology has not evolved fast enough to keep up
>> to the demands of the Green agenda. If you want faster parts today, then
>> they will have to be pigs on battery consumption. The automotive market is
>> really pushing for lower power electronics i.e. More miles per gallon
>> requirements.
What I meant is that Lower power design for Automotive is key to petrol and
battery powered cars.

Battery weight is one problem in electric cars. How much mileage can be had
between charging, charge time redux and so forth.

On petrol and hybrid Petrol/Electric cars, battery weight, alternator weight
is one factor that needs redux for improved distance / time for recharge.

By eliminating electrical demand on the battery there is less drag on the
engine by the alternator. All of the systems use power, i.e. Power train,
entertainment system, Instruments and lighting etc. all of this has impact
on the alternator and battery system. Weight redux in battery also lessens
friction to car to road surface enough to be measured. Toyota and BMW
engineers all are asking us for improved power efficiency in the Auto
electronics to get more miles per charge/gallon. It is mandated to increase
Greener emissions and so forth.

> Could you elaborate on that one? What percentage of engine power is
> used today for the electronics of the car? Compared to something like
> the headlight (40 to 70W / bulb), I don't really see the big push for
> ultra-low power electronics in a car. Am I missing something? I would
> have expected a totally different market driver.

Driver added electronics also have impact on the MPG agenda i.e. Cell phone
charger, iPOD system, Portable Navigation electronics, Video and Gaming
accessories in SUV type of vehicles etc.

See above response. I am not sure how much I can disclose here as this is
pretty sensitive info on Auto design right now. We build approx. 65% of the
world electronics for Automotive at Freescale to give you some reference
point. This is why Automotive electronics are using ARM in the
Dash/Navigation/Engine/Transmission monitoring electrics. Intel electronics
were too power hungry with ATOM design and did not have extended Temp and
lifetime of supply requirements.

>> Maintaining x86 architecture is a big debate and it remains to be seen who
>> wins out, Low power ARM or Low Power x86 from Intel/AMD or is there another
>> competitor coming up not discussed here?
>
> I think it was VIA that also have some low-power x86 on the market.
>
> Martin
Regards,

Terry Shultz
Freescale Inc.