Multi-Core ARM and Speed vs power thoughts

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 30 15:41:26 CET 2009

thx1138 wrote:
>  From my point of observation the MultiCore Coretex A9 ARM platform does
> open up some new dimensions. However, there are several problems bothering
> the semiconductor business at present. Software tools for Linux are not
> evolving fast enough to keep up with the demand on code optimization. This
> is evolving but is it fast enough in the Open Source community?

 From a contributor's point-of-view, there is a competition between fast
progress sponsored by companies like TI and Intel, who will do their best to
convince people to use platform-specific optimised code, in TI's case, (the DSP
in) OMAP, in Intel's case, Moblin. Actually what these are are two highly
specific and serious strategies by companies guarding their space by pushing
into new ones.

For example, with Moblin, there is only one "contributor" with the bucks and
interest in porting to ARM, and that's Nokia. They just did a deal with Intel,
and will play nice. Intel will release the code for the OpenGL part of Moblin,
only when they need to under terms of the GPL, which is, on the same day they
distribute binaries. One can see all this as strategic, and understand why.

 From a contributor's point-of-view, why indulge this? Silicon is fast and
getting faster. Your PC is unbelievably fast. Write code that's portable. Ti,
Intel, Nokia and others will not seriously undermine their credibility, but,
IMHO, certainly TI and Intel could do a little better, and are, very mildly,
being disingenuous.

Code need not get stuck in one domain, and that's the key to a big open source
tidal wave in any domain. It will be interesting to see, how such inspirations
play out in the new world of mobile, which is the most interesting space,
future-wise, for a developer.

Tony (HB)

(Funny talking about this stuff on music-bar...)