Writing on piano

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 23 22:12:30 CET 2009

Andrew Tarpinian schreef:

> Just wondering how many of you like to start out writing electronic
> songs with piano? For instance sitting down and getting thoughts down
> on chord structures, melody etc... then jumping over to the electronic
> side of things. Melodies always start a song for me and I find that
> the simplicity of one instrument and your own limitation in what you
> can do with two hands helps in the song writing process. Plus or
> course the universal voice of the piano. But then sometimes I get
> stuck wanting to keep the actual piano in the track which can be such
> a tough thing with electronic music :)

I just use a synth, and change the sound depending on the track I have
in mind. The EX5 has reasonable piano sounds, but I'm not too keen on
piano sounds from a synth to begin with.

The nicest keyboard I've ever had under my grubby little hands was a
Yamaha C3 baby grand, though. The feel of that keyboard... whereas
hammer action synths feel all wrong to my hands, this one felt all right.

> I guess this goes back to my thoughts on people using buttons and
> switches to write music now a days.

That's programming music more than anything else. Not to say that it
would inherently inferior or something, but not everybody's cup of tea.

- Peter