Reason

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Nov 21 00:11:42 CET 2009

2009/11/19 Andrew Tarpinian <evildead at nyc.rr.com>:
> I left reason because the sound was not what I wanted, it always seemed to
> sound like, Reason...

I think Reason's downfall is that it's too easy to make things that
sound like Reason, making things that don't sound like Reason with it
is entirely possible, but it involves throwing modules around like
there's no tomorrow, avoiding some more obvious ways of doing things,
and a bit of lateral thinking that takes you beyond the 'virtual rack'
metaphor into a world where it's sensible to have 5 subtractors that
exist purely for their lfos, and a chain of 3 Scream distorters at
different subtle settings instead of one obvious one, and 3 redrums
that only play 1 sound each.

I'm messing with a little mellow acid doodle at the moment, it's got
49 things in the rack at the mo, and will probably end up with over
100 before I'm done... there's a learning curve involved in getting to
the point where a 100 module rack seems sane, manageable and
justifiable.

I hate redrum too, it only gets used for spot samples where a
NN19+sequencer would be overkill. The matrix sequencer I have a
love/hate relationship with, I'm forever fighting the 32 note limit
and have a lot of interesting results from that fight that I wouldn't
have reached any other way, such as getting a pseudo 64 note loop by
splitting the audio out of the synth it's driving, delaying 1 path by
5 notes and merging, to give a 64 note loop where every even odd
numbered note is the same as the previous n-5th note.

- Andy_R