drooooidddd apps

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 13 21:51:20 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Andrew Tarpinian <evildead at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> It's kind of sad that the iPhone mail app is more feature rich than
> the android one! and gmail is not an excuse, there are plenty of
> people that do not want to route everything through that. I wish
> someone would just write a really great mail app for android - what I
> don't understand is everyone bitches how apple's development is so
> closed yet their store kills the android marketplace in terms of great
> apps. Yes I LOVE certain apps in the android store that would never be
> possible on the iPhone in a legit way - downloader apps that integrate
> into the browser to download any file, emulators, file managers etc...
> But all that love and possibilities gets me frustrated that there
> isn't more - I guess it's because googles marketing can't touch apples
> in terms of making the store profitable for devs.

The issue is actually, I think, more about the units sold than about
anything else.  Developers will always go after the biggest user base
first.  Thats where the numbers are, and thats where the money is.
Simple.  If Android 2.0 proves popular and gets closer to having an
installed based of iPhone like numbers ( a long shot, but possible )
then the developers will follow and the app store will grow...

Oh, and just for the record I dont like desktop mail clients since I
switched to google and just using it through chrome.  If there is
anything that the apps do that I cant in gmail, then I have yet to
come across it.

Tony