drooooidddd apps

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Nov 12 22:16:49 CET 2009

On Nov 12, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Jay Vaughan wrote:

>> Google really needs to fix up the pop/imap/exchange application, I's
>> really so-so compared to the g-mail app. I really don't understand
>> why
>> people can't make full featured mail apps on these devices, it's like
>> they leave out features on purpose...
>

> i got signed up for google wave, and do you want to know the truth?  i
> hate it.

What is it exactly - virtual meeting environment?

> ibisum is my android email address.  i find the email apps good
> enough, but then i've never needed much in an email interface except
> maybe 2, 3 hotkeys.  both gmail and mail.app are sufficiently mundane
> enough, but then i've known very mundane mail apps and still manage to
> have little usability issues.
>
> i think email, though, gets a lot of hate.  everyone wants to destroy
> email and become the next best info/comms system, but you can't beat
> good ol' pop3 and smtp for stodgy dog-headed survival factor.  plus,
> to be honest, my email archives, like on my own disk, are among my own
> personal favourite things to grep when i have offline time ..

My work email is super important to me, being a freelancer it's a
direct connection to my clients that I always have with me. Having
devices like these gives me the freedom to not be tied to my desk all
day, I can be where-ever and be able to deal with work communication.
And email is great because that correspondence is written in stone -
great for tracking things and holding people to their word.

2 initial gripes with the current android mail.app
-no signatures
-on reply it does not let you get into the message to place text where
you would like - just gives you a compose field and then attaches the
quoted text with no edit control.

Have been using IMAP - I am signing up for an exchange account for my
mail hosting so I can get push for my main address. I guess a bit of a
waste just for push but I am not using the other exchange features
because I hate Entourage. Mac Address book and iCal work well syncing
though gmail apps to the phone though.

I hate having pop3 on multiple devices :)