Nice Knobs

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Nov 11 02:45:52 CET 2009

Software or hardware?

In software, I generally dont like knobs because the motion of the
control is unnatural.  You cant really 'twist' a virtual knob, so you
are either moving the mouse up/down or left/right to
increment/decrement.  Sometimes, they do the WORST THING EVER and
actually make you have to rotate a point on the dial.  Whatever you do
DONT do that..

Given that, I think Massive is the best example of knobs in a soft
synth.  The colored rings around them that represent the modulation
amounts is probably one of the best software interface design concepts
I have seen in a soft synthesizer.

On hardware, my favorite knobs were on the SE-1x, which are modeled
after the Minimoog knobs.  I also really like the metal knobs on the
special edition Vermona DRM mk III that I am borrowing.  They are
beautiful, and very satisfying.  In software, though, they would not
look particularly interesting.