Talking of distortion..

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 22 21:39:28 CEST 2009

The Dong wrote:
> As this is so close to a Matchless Spitfire amp, I might cross-breed the
> two ;)

The preamp and splitter distortion is very creamy (I hate to use that
word) with a compliment of a late 60's and a 70's Mullard valve.

Pottering with a Master Volume across the PP stage, which does work, I
found that VVR (Variable Voltage Regulator) circuit online using a power
mosfet, being able to vary the high voltage from about 60v to 270v, so
the amp can be power scaled. It only uses one pot, a mosfet, some
resistors and a zener. Lower voltage means the power tubes will break up
without driving them at small venue volume levels, but can also be
driven above specs (in my mains transformer case) probably to about 20W.

Power scaling also has the advantage of full amp overdrive, but
prolonging tube life, so I've read.

It's going inside and on the front panel, maybe even keeping the Master
Volume too, slowly ;)

So that's:

Tone - Drive (or PreAmp) - Master Volume - Power Scale!

On the panel.
The Tone control is a bit pants, all it does is allow to dull down an
overly bright guitar with only a little treble bypass, which effectively
boosts some highs. Might experiment with a different tone control.

Anything else which should go on the front of every decent guitar amp,
controls wise?