listening to, drinking, and misc...

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 15 06:08:02 CEST 2009

This is getting into the realm where I wanted to go on AH.  Wherein lies the
agency?  Your line of thinking is that there is some sort of negotiation
that goes on between the composer and the listener that once crossed,
becomes music.  So, before the listener "appreciates" it, is it music?  If
your kazoo playing and toaster minuet is panned by critics and listeners
alike, it is not music you say.  For the moment let's say I agree.  However,
what if at some later point listeners suddenly latch onto your piece and
"appreciate" it?  Now it's music?  What was it before that moment?  Just
noise?

First, I'm not using "appreciate" in any cheeky way, I put it quotes as I'm
using it in a fairly subjective way.  Secondly, the question I have is if
this is the case, then music is entirely the agency of the listener, not the
composer - it lies completely in the ear of the beholder.  I don't know that
I can argue persuasively against this since as an academic, I'm kind of
infected with post-modern nonsense and understand this position a little too
well.  However, it does leave wide open the question of meaning and agency
on the part of the composer.  Most disturbingly, it means that nothing I
create will ever be as musical as "new kids on the block" as the listeners
have spoken with their "appreciation" of this music in an overwhelming
fashion.  Is there any meaning (and consequently value) for the
composer/creator other than as a persuader of the value/legitimacy of your
music.  It kind of turns the artist into marketer.  I think this very
construction lies at the problem in pretty much all modern art any longer.

James R. Coplin