Beat Mining with the Vinyl Hoover

deeplfo EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Mar 31 11:15:34 CEST 2009

That was great.  Thanks Andy.

On a side note: I just got Steinski's "What does it mean...;" such a great sample-mania tour.

mohsen

----- Original Message ----
From: Andrew Robinson <andrew at bml.co.uk>
To: Music-bar <music-bar at lists.music-bar.org>
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:41:05 AM
Subject: Beat Mining with the Vinyl Hoover

Another great documentary from BBC Radio 4, I hope iPlayer will let
the rest of the world all hear it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00h3x73

Basically, it's an hour long explanation of obsessive record
collection, and how it led to cut-ups and hip-hop recycling.

As usual the BBC do an amazing job of interviewing the top names, from
Steinski to DJ Mark the 45 King, Malcolm McLaren reminiscing about
seeing Afrika Bambataa scratching, Idris Muhammad on his drumming
being sampled, the guy who sold the 'it's a hard knock life' sample
from a record he found in a salvation army bin to Jay-z for 3 points
on a 2 million seller, Coldcut narrating all the sources on 'Paid in
Full' and the unlikely duo who got £60 for a session that ended up
being the foundation of 'My Name is" by Eminem (I won't spoil the
surprise!).

Well worth a listen!

- Andy_R