well, I am going to Germany

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Mar 10 00:22:20 CET 2009

Guys,

Köln and its environs is where synth music was nurtured by Connie Plank and
transformed into the continually evolving crazy creature of electronic rock.
Even recordings as diverse as Heroes (Bowie), everything Eno created, Kraftwerk
(obviously), masterpieces such as "Here comes the rain again" (Eurythmics), owe
much to the musical innovation that took place in that city. What lead up to
Connie Plank's innovative sequence of brilliance was partly Stockhausen's
presence and influence on the likes of Can (Holgar Czukay and Irmin Schmidt both
studied with him) and others. Not that any of these individuals needs putting on
a pedestal, mind. The city of Köln is another matter!

Tony (HB)