Netbooks

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jun 9 15:43:50 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:35 AM, James R. Coplin <james at ticalun.net> wrote:

> The newer Asus eee pcs with the atom processor are cool as can be.  I've
> been using mine for about a year now and love it.  I wouldn't do anything
> but get email and light work with though.  I had XP on it but then tries
> out
> Ubuntu.  I think the performance is the same for both OS and the battery
> life was much better under XP.  If I cared I'd switch back but as I really
> only use it for web and email, I haven't bothered.
>
> James

This is pretty much my exact use for it: e-mail, and accessing google apps
if I need them.  I also use an application called ThinkingRock for
organizing thoughts/projects and it would have to run that.  Its really
light weight, so should be no issue.

I have a big laptop, but in a meeting its  pain to carry around.  I want
something I can pick up with one hand that I can type some quick notes into
TR on and go. Ive got my big machine in my office for heavy lifting tasks.

Ill probably run Ubuntu on it.  They have a new 'netbook' edition that is
supposed to get better power.

I am a bit intrigued by the HP netbooks simply because they have expandable
RAM, and run an HP custom linux.  Be nice to try that out.

Tony