how to make pretty pictures for managers

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jun 4 23:48:22 CEST 2009

Tony Scharf schreef:

> See..it needs to work both ways.  I need to communicate in detail to the
> programmers in Germany, but there are a gaggle of managers that want to
> look at it to.  Unfortunately, it has to make sense to them as well.

Sure, but you're not going to show the same things to both sets of
people. Or at least, you're not going to show class diagrams to a bunch
of managers.

> As to getting training in it - thats what I am trying to make a case
> for.  This project is going to involve a lot of long term back and forth
> between myself, the managers here and the coding team in Germany.  I
> need to be able to speak a language they both understand.   Thats the
> hardest part about this project thus far.

This will set the company back a couple of thousand of dollars for one
week of training, which is nothing, really, compared to the other
expenses it will incur, including flying you back and forth to Germany.
The Sun course includes the whole design process, without limiting you
to a certain methodology like XP or Scrum or whatever.

However, the German developers would need some UML training as well, but
possibly not as thorough as you. They would need to be able to
understand your diagrams, and know what to do with them, but if they
only implement and leave the analysis and design mostly to others, it
could be done in less time. But you'd have to talk to a training company
for that.

- Peter