how to make pretty pictures for managers

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jun 4 20:49:49 CEST 2009

Tony Scharf schreef:

> Recently people were discussing UML.  I havnt really used it much, so I
> dont really understand how to do it properly.

You'd probably need formal training in it. Takes about a week.

> Essentially, I have the problem that I need to communicate with both
> managers and a group of programmers in Germany.  In both cases, we have
> a serious language barrier and I have found that drawing pictures for
> them helps.
>
> Is UML the right tool for this?  there has to be a proper standard way
> to draw up these process and object diagarms that I could use that
> everyone could understand.  I have had my own chicken scratch on graph
> paper methode I have used for myself for years, but thats not going to
> work.

I would say yes, it would work, although I'm not sure how useful it will
be for managers. Just for the use case diagrams and high-level
overviews, I suppose.

Mind that you can use (and probably should use) UML from the stakeholder
interviews to the deployment diagrams and everything in between. In your
case I say yes, it'll help, but don't expect to master it by looking up
some pages on the web, because there is a whole design process behind it.

- Peter