petersontuners to

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jul 26 19:19:00 CEST 2009

Martin Naef wrote:
> ... and then you started bending the sound again with carefully selected
> opamps and circuits...

Articulation amplification :)

What has got me into this "listening to the strings, pickups and fretboard"
mindset is getting rid of the effects. Then I got rid of the effect unit, which
I was just using to drive headphones, and I modded the pickup circuit to drive
headphones directly, with some very slight panning of the two channels left/right.

Given that the headphones are Shure E4Cs...

I have found that...

The AD/DA "converters" in the Zoom B2 stomp-box I was using, do indeed make a
difference. The difference is almost unbearable to think about. It's the
difference between seeing a photo of the himalayas on a web site, and standing
at the foot of everest on a windy day in bright sunlight.

Playing the instrument connected directly to headphones - with the circuit
articulating the impact against frets in a way the brain can better understand -
has reduced the amount of time I can practice. The music is strange, weird. The
information is, dense? but what for? I really have no idea what I'm doing,
except, listening.

Anyway, thanks to you and Joost for your observations about dynamics. They have
cost me several months of circuit development :)

Tony (HB)