What do I need?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 7 14:48:22 CEST 2009

I have the Presonus FireStudio 26x26 + an creamware ADAT converter that
gives me a total of 26 inputs.  I have all my hardware connected up to it,
and do all of my mixing and monitoring in the box.  Presonus also just
released a new driver which allows you to daisy chain units, so I could add
another FireStudio if I wanted to really go insane with IO.

My experience with the FireStudio has been mixed, but thats mostly because I
am using Vista Ultimate, and Presonus doesnt get how to support it properly
(they claim to, but when installing drivers I have to run their installers
in compatibility mode for XP and manually register some DLLs - its really
kinda silly).  I havnt had any experience using them with Mac or Linux.

The latency I get is way way low.  I can mix through the box using Reaper as
my DAW and everything lines up nicely.  In live, I seem to get a bit more
latency, but oddly it seems to come from the MIDI going from controller to
device and not actually Audio latency.  I havnt been able to figure that one
out yet....

Tony