new tv...?

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 13 18:59:32 CET 2009

Manufacturers make lots of tiny incremental upgrades, there are
serious bargains to be found by searching out the last few of the
previous generation, you can sometimes buy the top of the old range
for the price of the bottom of the new if you search around.

Viewing distance is important, choose your screen size based on the
distance to your favourite chair - I found 46" to be good for 14ft
distance, the old 36" was too small. Actual physical pixel count is
very important, avoid anything less than 1080 vertical, as they can't
show all HD formats without throwing data away. 100 Hz is good, but I
found that I preferred the picture on a top end 50Hz screen to a
similarly priced low end 100Hz one. I ended up choosing one made by
Sharp, but I think all the major names are pretty similar (and they
probably use the same panels) so once you've found the feature set you
like, just buy on price. I've found the VGA input on mine to be
useful, consider looking for one if you'll ever want to have a
living-room computer set-up.

Oh and lastly, watch out for delivery charges and boxes too big to fit
in family cars. The 46" just scraped into Wendy's car, I'd have been
stung for £70 for a 3/4 mile delivery if I'd gone for a 47"!

- Andy_R