Do you speak an endangered language?

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Feb 24 19:31:08 CET 2009

Have a look:

http://www.unesco.org/culture/ich/index.php?pg=00206

Apparently, I don't - yet. But it's marked as 'unsafe'.

This list is a good example, really. We all speak English here, but all
this global communication leads to a marginalisation of local
communication, or so it seems.

Strange that Limburgian-Ripuarian (I can easily understand the dialect
from Cologne) with 2.6m speakers is marked as unsafe, whereas Maltese
with less than 400,000 speakers is not. It really depends on what the
lingua franca or the official language is in a certain area.

This weekend, we're having a small party. There will be my wife
(Maltese), me (Dutch), a Maltese (used to be married to a Spanish
woman), his girlfriend (Dutch of Jewish-Polish descent), another Maltese
(of British-Italian descent) and her boyfriend (English, used to live in
Ireland).

Lots of influences here. :)

- Peter