using plugins (compressor) DURING recording in Logic

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Feb 24 16:54:23 CET 2009

M-.-n schreef:
> One reflection I also had is that if you mix a lot of tracks together,
> you won't really need to run each individual signal at full dynamics. I
> notice exporting my LGPT tracks that the volume of individual tracks are
> around 1/2 of the dynamics and I can leave most of the live faders
> around zero. There's no real point (maybe?) to record  the sound at full
> dynamic range if you are going to put all of the faders half way down.

That seems like an OK idea, but the lower the volume of your
signal, the more noise you get. Moreover, the signal loses power.
In case you *need to* crank up the fader of one of the
instruments, that might result in unwanted noise or a thin sound...

> In my opinion, the major problem of using the compressor in the DAW is
> the latency of the recording loop (because you somehow need the player
> to hear the effected track), not the signal headroom.

Yes. True.

> In case of guitars, it seems more and more people also record both the
> affected signal and a dry one simultaneously (assuming the processing is
> done externally) to have the flexibility of using the real 'performance'
> or doing defered processing.

Good idea.

Cheers,

--