Yamaha ASIB1 for sale on Ebay

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Feb 23 20:48:32 CET 2009

Tony Scharf schreef:

> From what I have read, the SCSI adapter for the EX5 was, essentially,
> useless.  Its save/load times were terrible.

True, but the floppy is worse. :) The reason was a basically broken
design, with the CPU for the peripherals communicating with the CPU for
the DSPs communicating via a serial connection, or something like that.
I've got the schematics lying around somewhere.

They probably couldn't have done it any other way with the restrictions
that I imagine they must have had, though.

> Also, if your not using it..why buy it?  I could see it adding resale
> value to your EX5 if you intended to ever sell it...but if you dont,
> then again...why bother?

Because I've got 16 MB memory and 16 MB flash memory. The flash is hard
to use without SCSI. Also, I've got a spare 1 GB SCSI disc and a SCSI
CD-ROM drive.

And since I also have the four extra analogue outputs (which I don't use
either :)), this would make the synth complete. Even if I don't use it
now, that might change in a few years time.

So, if budget weren't a concern, I'd buy it, but buying this means not
buying a rather nice set of rail cars (modelled after a transportation
firm that I would pass on my way to school).

- Peter