Aaaargh!

komatos EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Feb 23 19:36:52 CET 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Korsten" <peter at severity-one.com>
To: "Music-bar" <music-bar at lists.music-bar.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:20:30 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: Aaaargh!

The plural of 'virus' is 'viruses'. The Latin plural of a word ending in
'us' is 'i', not 'ii' (provided it's the first declension), but 'virus'
doesn't have a plural.

It's explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus
My bad grammar, but virii sounds so much cooler. :-p
 > on Windows as a mission critical system.
 >
 > All just my $.25 from personal experience.

I had to hand-edit this message, because this wonderful Mac of yours
can't properly format an e-mail, but...
Well, this message wasn't composed on my Mac, so don't blame the Mac/OSX (which does format email properly), but on Comcast's annoying new SmartZone email web interface (running in Firefox at work, so it doesn't always display right when viewing messages).  Blame Comcast's stupid decision to choose SmartZone as it's new webmail platform.  Major PITA at times.

And for what it's worth, I never get virus or spyware on my custom built WindowsXP Home with SP3 PC at home. Or hardware problems for that matter, other than a blown power supply that needed replacing after 6 or 7 years.  It's just that joe-blow average PC user doesn't follow the recommended safety protocols when running Windows (i.e. my computer troubleshooting customers and the general uniformed Windows using public).  And that's where the virus and spyware gets in.  Ignorant users.  I never browse unsafe sites or download software I don't trust when I use my PC with Windows at home.  I don't do all the IM, chatting, etc. that tends to bring spyware or virus infections.  The 85 year old customer who's computer was infected and I had to reinstall Windows for the second time last year (XMas holiday after doing it during the Memorial Day weekend 7 months before) had ignorantly installed IncrediMail, a freeware email program with smileys, etc. that has spyware attached to it that hops along for the rise.  After hosing his system trying to remove it without reinstalling windows, I ended up having to reformat and reinstall anyways.

Like I said, ignorant users seeing all these Windows-looking popups like "Your computer may be infected with spyware. Please install our spyware cleaning software [which is itself spyware] to remove the spyware we're fooling you into thinking you have."  They're dumb enough to click on those links/popups and infect their machines.

You've gotta understand, 90% of the Windows/PC users out there aren't computer geeks like us that know what we're doing.  Their basically noobs that know just enough to be dangerous to themselves.  The music-bar members are mostly geeks and know better, but most Windows/PC/general computer users don't.

-komatos/wasted