band limited oscillators

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 5 22:29:36 CET 2009

Hey Marc,

The theory is, er, easier than the code for it, at least if you're talking about
optimal code. But there are (I vaguely recollect) plenty of cheesy shortcuts,
especially if you've got some MBs of RAM to spare.

To avoid that whole pseudo-fir shortcut madness, you could just use sinewaves
with phase-modulation feedback, ie, same as DX7 et al, but do it with much finer
control of the feedback levels. A single sine with phase mod FB can give you a
sawtooth. A couple in series can be detuned to get a bit of beef. Add a ring
modulator, pan all the outputs in different positions, etc etc, gets
interesting. Variably distort the phase of the address to get chorus, etc. Cheap
on CPU.

But if you want square and PWM proper, you will need the
fir-whatsitcalled-supersampling theory thing er, whatever. It is fun. Never
wrote any - it's one thing that yer average digital synth does quite well (Nord
Lead was the first to do a decent job).

My approach was to hack it from first principles, considering a high quality
fractional sample rate converter, what happens if you put a step through it at
various fractional sample offsets, and then you'll need some math sim package to
help you calculate the optimal pulse decay length and coefficients for your
preferred S/N ratio. I found doing all this much easier than reading any of the
technical papers on the stuff. The CPU overhead increases the more switching
from plus to minus goes on, so, CPU overhead increases with frequency, where the
overlap in pulse-decay sinusoids starts to get a bit alarming.

Having done a quick search just now, I feel as if I understand it less than I
did five minutes ago... Man - why do they make everything so *complicated*.

Tony (HB)