File Parsing and Editing Help

Matt Picone EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Dec 8 04:14:35 CET 2009

Barians,

I am working on a software project (music related!) which involves an
XML file and I lack the knowledge of regular expressions I need to
modify it easily.

What I have to do is identify all instances of a certain construction in
the text and change the case of certain characters.

The construction always begins with "item", is then followed by a 1-3
digit number (1, 11, 111), followed by an equal sign, quotation marks,
some STRING VALUE, and then the close quotes.

I want to change the VALUE from ALL CAPS to INITIAL CAPS, unless it is
found on an exceptions list (USA, ms, Hz, etc.)

What do you recommend I use to make this change throught the file? I
need to do it easily and repeatedly over time.

RegEx? PERL? Something else? Any tips pointers, or outright assistance
will be blatantly rewarded.

Thanks

-m@