Dell 2209WA

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Dec 8 00:31:35 CET 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:14 PM, Peter Korsten wrote:

> In that regard, it's strange that two of the four USB ports for the
> hub
> are on the side of the screen. So you have this really nice screen,
> and
> some ugly cable sticking out of the side. That doesn't make sense.

they are ment for quick connections, so you don't have to reach around
the back.

> If the screen is completely black, you see quite some leakage of
> backlight in the corners. Normally, it's not much of an issue, but if
> you need a super-calibrated screen, perhaps this is an issue.

fairly normal on a screen at that price range

> So, e-IPS instead of TN. My screen at work, my laptop screen and even
> our TV, they all have TN screens. They're cheap and they're fast, but
> they also have the lest quality of the three available technologies
> (TN,
> PVA and IPS).
>
> What strikes me about this screen - and I have to admit that the TV
> and
> the screen at work, a Dell 22" TN screen, are via analogue
> connections -
> is that everything is incredibly sharp and crisp. You have to be
> careful
> how you do dithering, because you have a good chance of seeing the
> individual pixels as little squares.

Cool :) VGA bad, DVI good :)

> If you watch a DVD, you see the limitations of the DVD standard. I
> don't
> have Blu-ray here, but you would need it to overcome that limitation.
> (The resolution is 1680x1050, by the way, so there may be scaling
> issues. I wouldn't know.) I was looking at the arena scene with the
> chariots in 'Gladiator', and it was all a bit too fuzzy.

Yea it will look like crap, they dont have the same type of scalers as
HDTV's/dvd players. You are taking an SD source and basically blowing
it up to high res :)

> It might be worth it to properly calibrate this screen, even though
> I'm
> mostly playing games and boring you guys with it. But when you look at
> it, the details (like the texture on a top that my son is wearing) and
> colours all look so /right/. It's like looking at the real thing.

you probably don't have to worry about it for your uses - just maybe a
basic run through to getting it working better based on the light
where you are working.

> Given that this thing can be had for $300, or £200 (if you shop around
> and are lucky), or €250, it's really a great deal for a very nice
> screen.

yea it sounds like they are making(buying) good screens again, they
had some nice ones at one point then they went through a period where
they were turning out some crappy stuff - I guess they thought most
people would not notice...