Qustion to the minds of the bar

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 2 21:25:25 CET 2009

Tony Scharf wrote:
> Or, as I like to say, The Beetles didn't have protools.

Actually, they do, now, and the results are... staggeringly good.

The astonishing clarity of 4-track tape and tube-based circuitry, world class
engineering, muscianship and composition... *and* arrangement, is rendered with
the aid of these digital tools, to get us closer to the moment. This is not
improving what they did, this is... what was heard when the songs were mixed
from multitrack down to stereo.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LennMcCaHarrStarr

I found the technical background interesting:

http://is.gd/5anxd

Ultimately, talking about making music is not helpful, unless the music becomes
better as a result. Careful use of digital techniques and media, with extreme
attention to detail, *can* be worthwhile. One can usually tell when it's going
to be: good engineers have no need of ad-hominem attacks, or grandstanding; they
just get on with it.

The results speak for themselves.

Tony (HB)