buying a soldering iron..

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Dec 1 08:44:42 CET 2009

Hi Tony

Quoting Tony Scharf <noisetheorem at gmail.com>:
> Do any of the DIY'ers have any tips (no pun intended) on purchasing a
> soldering iron?

I've long lusted for a proper soldering station (e.g. the Weller ones)
that I used at work, but never got around to actually getting one. In
the meantime, a cheap-ish iron with replaceable tips has served me
very well for a lot of DIY projects. The only major downside that I've
discovered so far is the lack of a proper, heavy holder that's part of
the Weller base stations, hence I always have to be careful where I
put down the iron in order not to melt or burn anything. I wouldn't
try SMD with that one either.

Martin