Monowave debugging.... into DSP's

Joost Schuttelaar EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 25 23:39:36 CEST 2009

On Aug 25, 2009, at 15:39 , Tom Adam wrote:

> any recommendations? I think I'm getting up to date with the
> hardware by reading the manual (520pages), but I'm a little
> concerned about the programming itself.

To be perfectly honest, I think that learning DSP + Motorola assembly
at the same time is a bit brave. Very steep learning curve in both.

I think the best way to learn DSP is to simply write some standalone
audio code on the PC in C. Then port to whatever you want. Perhaps
prototype even in a higher language such as Python.

The Arduino is pretty fun to do some audio processing on :) just lower
the sample rate a bit...

In terms of DSP learning, I think Arduino and standalone on your
normal work machine is easiest. Arduino is fixed point, which makes
things a bit more difficult, but setting up some working audio + midi
i/o code on your PC will take you some time too. Motorola DSP gives
you some very nice performance on an embedded platform, but the
language is dreadful and you have to worry about registers and fixed
point all the time.

If you need some sample code to get going let me know (are you on Mac
Tom?).

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL