Studio monitors rec's

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Aug 24 15:31:26 CEST 2009

Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
> Thinking of replacing my monitors, one of them has gone bad, I think I
> blew it, rattles pretty loudly at low frequencies.

That sounds like you broke the voice coil.  I would just have it reconed.
You will need to have both of the speakers reconed to insure they sound the
same.  Here, I typically pay around $50 for a recone job.  I suspect you can
get a better cone than Alesis put on originally.  It's a trivial repair for
a speaker place.

If you are unfamiliar with the anatomy of your speaker, see:

http://www.audioxtra.com.au/files/OG5FAONQ97/Speaker%20Anatomy.pdf

I suspect that the voice coil and the spider are shot (and will get worse
until they fail entirely).  As you can see from the diagram, 99% of all the
parts in your speaker are probably functioning including the expensive bits,
the cabinet, crossovers, etc.  If you swap the drivers and the problem moves
with the driver, that's your problem.  Get it reconed.

James R. Coplin